5 Ways to Improve Your Self Esteem

Friends!

My dear, dear friends.

I am Sierra and I blog over at Sierra's View! I am so excited to be on Brooklyn's blog today to talk about something that is very near and dear to my heart.



Self Esteem.

Before you all have sigh a huge sigh of relief, I want to tell you that this something that needs to be talked about. And it needs to be talked about often.

I like to consider myself a confident person. Yet, there are many times that I am quite difficult on myself. I am my own worst critic. I find that I am looking at all of the negative aspects about myself rather than positive ones. I, sometimes, tend to notice things about myself that other people don't even see. I am so hard on myself, and I see so many other women being hard on themselves as well.
This needs to stop! So, let's talk about what we can do to help our self esteem. These are five things I have found that have helped me when I am struggling with my confidence.




1. Embrace being alone.
Often times, I find that being alone can sometimes be damaging. Alone time can sometimes lead to negative thoughts. If I could say anything about this aspect, it would be that when you are alone, enjoy it. Spend that time to write, to ponder, and to grow. A confident woman is someone who can do things alone and enjoy it.

2. For every negative thought, give yourself five compliments.
As a child growing up, my mother would make me say five nice things to my brother for every one mean thing I said to him. I hated it. But now looking back, I think it's brilliant. We have this concept of negative "Self talk" that gets into our brains often. Every time you find yourself saying something negative or mean about yourself, automatically say five things that you love about yourself. It seems awkward at first, but I promise, it works.

3. Do something every day for yourself. 
Go to the gym, take a walk outside, go to yoga, read a book, write on your blog, cook, etc. Do something everyday that makes you feel good about yourself; something that you truly enjoy. You need to remember through your crazy lives of children, jobs, husbands, school, etc. that you need to do something just FOR YOU. Building those "happy moments"--that's what I like to call them, helps you become a more whole and confident person.

4. Do not compare yourself. 
This one is the most challenging, in my opinion. We live in a world that is constantly comparing--our income, our homes, our bodies, etc. We each have different bodies, different struggles, and different strengths. Do not compare your weaknesses to other peoples' strengths.

5.  Remember Who You Are. 
Remember that you are a wonderful person. You are loved by God. You have so many wonderful aspects about yourself. Even if you don't believe in God or a higher power, always believe that you are a special person with wonderful gifts and talents. Always remember that.

Come stop by and say hi!!!

2 comments:

Kristin DiCristofano said...

I love number two! It's such an obvious suggestion and yet I've never thought of it. Sierra never disappoints :)

Tayler Morrell said...

I love this, especially because I've been struggling with my self-esteem as well.