ON TAKING OFFENSE

In our bi-monthly presidency meeting last Sunday, the Young Women's 2nd counselor shared the following quote and it really struck me.

HAVING THE COMPANIONSHIP OF THE SPIRIT WILL MAKE US BETTER PEOPLE. WITH THE INFLUENCE OF THE HOLY GHOST, WE WILL NOT BE OFFENDED, NOR WILL WE OFFEND OTHERS; WE WILL FEEL HAPPIER, AND OUR MINDS WILL BE CLEARER. OUR LOVE FOR OTHERS WILL INCREASE. WE WILL BE MORE WILLING TO FORGIVE AND SPREAD HAPPINESS TO THOSE AROUND US. WE WILL FEEL GRATEFUL TO SEE HOW OTHERS PROGRESS, AND WE WILL SEEK THE GOOD IN OTHERS. 

-ELDER FRANSISCO J VINAS ("THE PLEASING WORD OF GOD," GC, OCTOBER 2015)



I can't even count the number of times I've been offended by something that someone else has said or done! I even have heard, and repeat the joke, "If you've never been offended at church, you aren't going enough!" We laugh because almost every single person who has attended church knows that it is run by imperfect beings who sometimes don't filter, and occasionally make biting remarks in order to hurt and offend. Yet, if we truly have the full capacity of the Spirit with us, we will not be offended.

One thing I have been focusing on in my life is trying to say constant prayers throughout the day. One of the things I have been praying for it to feel the Spirit more and to be able to feel Heavenly Father's presence with me, even in the menial tasks. I love the promises in this quote!

+ We will not be offended

+ We will not offend others

+ We will feel happier

+ Our minds will be clearer

+ Our love for others to increase

+ We  will be more willing to forgive

+ We will spread happiness to those around us

+ We will feel grateful when others progress

+ We will seek the good in others


Aren't those some amazing promises? I know it's so easy to take offense. I was once offended by the primary chorister as I played the piano and she would say, "Let's let Sister Jolley try that again and see if she can do it WITHOUT mistakes this time." I literally did everything I could to make sure we were out of town on Sundays because I had been so offended by a woman who truly knew nothing about me and never took the time to care for me. It didn't matter what she thought! My Heavenly Father knew that I was doing my very best with what I had.

I know over the past few weeks as I have PRAYED for and ASKED to have the Spirit with me more often, I feel more like me. As I type those words I feel the truth bomb coming down hard.

Having the Spirit with you at all times will help you live up to your full potential. You will feel more like you as you strive to have the Spirit with you. What a beautiful promise. 


 photo signature_zps58d2tge3.png

1 comment:

Ashley Ziegler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.