Fighting Povery With Donuts? CARE Knows How

I find myself reading a lot of articles about "world-changers." You know what I'm talking about. Those companies, organizations and people who are helping other people in one way or another.

Biti Rose lives in Africa. She and her husband were so poor that they had to pull their son out of school because they couldn't afford the $5 uniform. She saved her pennies every week and joined a CARE Village Savings and Loan Association in 2005. She secured a $2 loan to buy ingredients and started to sell donuts every day for just 2 cents. She began earning several dollars of profit a day, which was more than she had her entire life. She reinvested in her child's education and their family farm. They are now self-sustaining.

And it all started with an organization that gave the a $2 loan. You can learn more about their story HERE.

CARE facilitates lasting change by:
*Strengthening capacity for self-help
*Providing economic opportunity
*Delivering relief in emergencies
*Influencing policy decisions at all levels
*Addressing discrimination in all its forms

Any story about donuts gets me hooked, and I was drawn  to the faith that Biti Rose had in herself. She KNEW she could do it, she knew she could sell donuts and support her family if she only had a little help.

I think that's how so many of us are in life. We believe in ourselves, but we need others to be there as our support system. Cheerleaders are absolutely essential in getting through life. We need people who believe in us. My supportive husband and family have been amazing to me as I have chased so many dreams of mine. I couldn't do life without them.

Go visit CARE's website and consider donating to their cause. You can be someone's cheerleader that gives them that $2 that will change the course of their lives.

(Many thanks to CARE for sponsoring today's post and inspiring me to learn about a great cause!)


 photo jolley-sig_zps8e3a9f4d.jpg