I've recently been on a healthy-living book reading kick. I just can't stop buying books about taking better care of our bodies. It's all so fascinating and unusual in a world of diet after diet after diet to read about making lasting changes. So I've reviewed these 3 books so you too can get started on your own life-long healthy living journey. Let me know if you buy one and also if you have a favorite health book not listed here, I'm always looking for a new book to read!
My rating: 4.5/5
I'll admit, I was skeptical too. A skinny, gorgeous celebrity telling us how to live healthy, doubt it. But after reading the reviews I decided it was worth a shot. It turned out to be WAY better than I imagined. It starts out talking about nutrition and what hunger means and what our body does when we feed it good food and bad food. Then she talks about movement and exercise. I found myself learning so much and making lots of "try this!" notes to myself. I didn't give it a full 5 because some of the nutrition is just a little bit cray cray. I didn't major in nutrition so lots of it went over my head. But majority of the book was great! It encourages you to make lasting simple changes instead of jumping on the next diet band wagon.
My rating: 3.5/5
My doctor suggested this book to me when we were chatting during my last yearly gynecologist appointment. It helps you think about how we would've lived if we were hunter-gatherers. We would've eaten berries, salad and lean meats. We would've carried heavy loads, and make sudden sprints to chase after our food. It gave me a new perspective. I mean, never in history has weight been an issue until pretty dang recently. So obviously the way humans used to live works. My biggest issue with this book was it didn't seem really "liveable". I imagined myself doing the program for a few weeks and getting burnt out. I just can't eat fresh organic foods 100% of the time. Do you turn down birthday cake? Or not going out to Applebee's for your parent's anniversary? I just couldn't see myself following the program to a T. But it DID inspire me to eat more naturally, I even checked out Whole Foods for the first time a week ago! I would recommend this book for knowledge, but not for the actual program.
My rating: 5/5
By far my favorite health book I've ever read. I bought it for some pleasure reading over the long weekend and couldn't put it down! This book seems like a conversation with your BFF. It has simple changes you can make that will help you long-term. It also talks about the 80-20 rule, eating right 80% of the time and leaving 20% for cheats. For birthday cake, for soda at the movie theater, for a big huge pasta meal from Olive Garden when you have no intention of running a marathon with all those carbs. I've started doing one of the 10 minute fixes each day. I love that some of them really push you, like trying a new workout class and that some make you think, like writing down why you deserve to be healthy. There are 10 minute fixes for self-esteem, making friendships, and sharing what you've learned. I seriously highlighted so much in this book. If you're looking for a book to help you get started on healthy living and dumping the diet drama (heaven knows I needed to), this is the book for you!
(This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links. AKA If you purchase through any of the links in this post I receive a portion for pointing you in their direction.)