reciprocity: 6 ways to yes

At school a few months ago, we were shown a video called "Science of Persuasion." In the 11 minute video, it goes over 6 ways that we convince people to say, "YES!" to us.

1. Reciprocity
2. Scarcity
3. Authority
4. Consistency
5. Liking
6. Consensus

So over the next few weeks I will be going through the 6 ways to YES and how they apply to creating and growing a successful blog.



Reciprocity: Relationship involving mutual exchange.


People are obliged to give back to other what they have received first. If you invite a friend to your birthday party, they feel obliged to invite you to theirs. It is the simple principle that people who feel they owe you something are more likely to say YES to your requests.

This isn't necessarily taking advantage of people if you go about it in the right way. If you find a post you love, share it! If you had an amazing experience sponsoring someone, tell others! Every time someone says they are looking for a blog designer, I give a shout out to my homegirl Brielle.

Another way to incorporate reciprocity into blogging is by asking other bloggers to guest post swap, or ad swap. Essentially I scratch your back, you scratch my back.

Have you used reciprocity in blogging? What's your experience?


post signature

7 comments:

Amberly said...

I'm excited about this series! I agree with everything you said in this post. One of my favorite things to do is promote other people and share the blog world love. It makes me sad when a lot of people won't do that.

Mindy said...

My favorite thing about this blog is that someone else uses the term reciprocity. Most people cannot even say it. ;)

Amanda Moments said...

I'm all about this. If I get a comment from a new visitor, I always try to go check out their blog and comment back too. I like to think of it as sharing the love!

Unknown said...

Definitely! It's so important in this blogging community to remember that. I've swapped ads and posts with people and always go read someone's blog that comments on mine!

Unknown said...

Definitely! It's so important in this blogging community to remember that. I've swapped ads and posts with people and always go read someone's blog that comments on mine!

Unknown said...

Definitely! I think this is so important to do with other bloggers. I've swapped ads and posts with other bloggers and always go check out a blog if they comment on mine!

2justByou said...

I try to be pretty big on leaving blog comments. Sometimes a comment left on my blog is the highlight of my day (sad, I know, but true).

But yes, when I find a blog post I like and feel connected with, I share it. =0)

I haven't had too many guest posters on my blog, and I've never guest posted for someone else. But it's a really cool idea. After all, that's how I found your blog here!