tips for getting better sleep

When I was in high school, I struggled to sleep. I would be exhausted, but once I would climb into bed, I would lay awake for hours trying to get myself to fall asleep. I even took Tylenol PM for awhile because I simply could not fall asleep without a sleep aid. I started to research everything I could on how people fell asleep quickly and stayed asleep.

Today, my husband teases me because I can fall asleep so quickly. My ability sleep is incredible now. And I am here today, to teach you everything I have learned!


1. Turn Off for Sleep. Turn On to Wake Up.
When I am going to sleep, we turn off all the lights in the apartment, including our alarm clock light. We turn our phones upside down so if they receive any messages, the light doesn't bother us. I used to be afraid of the dark, but I trained myself to know that dark means it's sleeping time. And when I wake up, I turn on all the lights possible, because it signals to my brain that it is now time to be awake.

2. Exercise.
I wasn't sure I believed in this one. But in the past 3 months as I have started a consistent work out routine, I fall asleep SO fast. The exercise makes my body as tired as it should be, and its been a huge part of keeping my body from waking up. I don't exhaust myself at the gym, but an hour on a treadmill a few times a week lets my body fall asleep and stay asleep.

3. No caffeine later in the day. 
I don't always follow this one, but when I have caffeine after about 6 pm, I can feel it keeping my mind awake. It's strange. And so now I generally have any caffeine I plan to have by lunch time, that way it has 10 hoursish to work it's way out of my system.

4. Keep a notepad by the bedside.
Wandering thoughts keeping you up? I keep a notepad by my bed so I can jot down any "to-dos" that come to my mind. That way I can just write it out and forget about it.

5. Read.
Reading wears out your eyes. So if I'm ever ready to go to sleep but I can't relax, I pull out a book. The strain on your eyes at a later hour can cause your body to prepare for sleep. I usually read until I really can't keep my eyes open any longer, than I immediately shut off the lights and go to bed.

What other tips do you have for getting better sleep? 


post signature

4 comments:

Ashley Ziegler said...

OMG! I love this post. I have struggled with sleeping for SO long. In fact, I'm still having problems right now. I've been on a sleeping pill for about a year now, and I've heard it's bad to be on a sleeping pill long-term so I'm trying to find other ways to stay asleep! I too started working out before bed, and I am very tired!

ALSO, no matter what time of day it is, I'm most tired when I read closer to bed time. It works like magic!!! loved this post!!!

Kelsey Eaton said...

I need this. All week I have been exhausted but getting ready for bed seems to wake me up and I lay in bed for hours!

Unknown said...

Love this! I have figured some of these things out for myself, and they really do work!

xo,
rn
www.rachelnicoleblog.com

Whit said...

OOO definitely needed this. I have TERRIBLE sleep habits, thus I am always tired. Maybe i'll actually put these tips to use this time :)
New follower - Raspy Wit