3 things hair school has taught me that have nothing to do with hair





1. Your dreams can never be too big or too small. 
In school we have to choose a mentor to spend our year in school learning about. Someone who we admire, can learn from, and want to follow. Some girls chose celebrity hairstylists, reality tv stars, and some chose their mom's. Just because I want to do hair out of my house while being a mom doesn't mean my dreams are too small. They are MY dreams. I get to define them.

2. It's never too late to have new dreams.
I was really nervous to stop going to USU for Elementary Education. People always told me that's something I'd be good at. And NO ONE has ever told me I'm good at doing hair. But I couldn't shake the feelings. My dreams changed. I couldn't see myself as an elementary school teacher anymore. And even when people thought I was crazy, and told me I couldn't or shouldn't do it, I didn't listen. I go to school with a 68 year old lady. It's never too late. Never.

3. You get to create yourself.
I'm honestly not really outgoing. I could sit at home every night by myself watching Disney movies and eating cereal. But when I started school I decided that this was a chance to reinvent myself. And one girl in school told me, "You're SO outgoing. I wish I knew how to talk to people like you." Huh? I'm basically the most awkward person on planet earth. But I chose to create myself. Am I still being me? Yes. I'm just being who I've always wanted to be. I can't change anyone else. But I can change me. 


post signature

6 comments:

Kelsey Eaton said...

Such important lessons!!

McKenzie said...

Love this and needed to hear this! Thanks brooklyn!

Anonymous said...

You are so wise, sweet friend!

Amanda @ Mandaloves Blog said...

Huge lessons :)

Amberly said...

I love every single one of these!!! :) #2 might be my favorite. I'm 25 and just barely going to have my associates degree, but it's something I'd dreamed of doing, and from it came my dream to get my bachelor's degree, so I might be almost 30 when it happens, but I'm determined!

Unknown said...

Awesome!! I loved going to hair school. It has been one of the best decisions I have made. And it looks like you are loving and learning a lot too!