3 things I wish someone had told me about blogging





1. If you are trying to grow your blog, GET A TWITTER.
Seriously, I just barely jumped on the twitter bandwagon a couple months ago and my blog has doubled in size since then. It has been so fun to have silly (and serious) conversations on there. It's also free advertisement because you can post links to your newest blog post and people will actually click on it and read it! 

2. Schedule posts when you have the time. 
I just barely figured this out. Sometimes I have 4-5 posts rolling around in my head and when I have a few hours to spare I'll just crank them out and schedule them for the week. It's way easier for me than to try and remember to post the draft I have in my blogger dashboard. This is also helpful when I go on vacation, then I can still be "blogging" while I'm on a break! In "post settings" click on schedule and then choose the date and time you'd like the post to appear on your blog. Then click "done" and then click "publish'' like you usually would. Jingle Bam! It's awesome sauce.

3. There are NO RULES to blogging. 
Make money, don't make money. Respond to every comment, only respond to comments that ask questions, or don't respond at all. Pay for a design, learn HTML coding yourself. No one knows what's right for you but you. Decide what you want out of your blog and set yourself some goals. But don't let anyone else tell you how to run your blog.

What's the best blog advice you've received?


post signature

13 comments:

Charity said...

The best and only advice I have ever received in blogging is to be myself and not to get caught up in the numbers!! It was such a great reminder because sometimes you can lose yourself here. I like the three tips you shared. Scheduling post is a life saver!!

April @ Hansen Love said...

I agree with every word. The scheduling I didn't find out for like a year after blogging. And that was a life saver! haha. Love this post.

Jess said...

Good post :)

Jennie and Husband said...

love the no rules! SO true. Do what you love. xoxo

The Modern Tulip said...

You just blew my mind with scheduling posts. I always wondered why when I scheduled them they never went up. I wasn't hitting "publish"! THANK YOU!

Kelsey Eaton said...

Haha I agree. I barely even knew what twitter was until I started my blog. Spend way too much time on there now!

Ashley Ziegler said...

Did you learn HTML coding yourself? and design?

Anonymous said...

I'm so guilty of saying I'll schedule posts and then I never do!

Anonymous said...

I'm so guilty of saying I'll schedule posts and then I never do!

Kenzie @ Life According to Kenz said...

This post is genius. I agree with EVERY word you wrote. My favorite is "no rules." : ) Sharing this!

Elizabeth at Southern Finesse said...

Couldn't agree more with 'no rules'. I wish every blogger would understand that about themselves as well as other bloggers. There's room for everyone!

DR Be4t said...

Well I'm grateful for this because I am now help run a Spanish blog to share gospel truths and it for sure helped with things that have been on my mind.

Rachel said...

I schedule all of my posts in advance--it works great for me that way! And I was very slow when I first started blogging to join twitter to, but now I'm glad I did!
(And in case it isn't completely obvious, I just stumbled across you blog today and am having the grandest time stumbling around checking everything out!